Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Greatest Consumer of Scotch Whisky?

I am not what you would call a 'soldier of the mind' nor an intellectual.  But, I do try to keep abreast on what the hell is going on in the world, and so I do on occasion pick up The Economist.

I know, I know, you're thinking who the hell is he trying to impress?  Like who cares?  I hear ya brother.  Most of the time I read the articles not understanding what I am reading, but hoping by reading it some sort of osmosis action will take place and maybe I can drop an interesting tidbit at a party or get-together with other psuedo intellectuals.

In any case, I did come across an interesting article worth drawing your attention to.  It's entitled:  Whisky Galore: Which Countries Import Most Scotch  Whisky?   Without looking at the article, try and guess which country imports the most scotch whisky.  The United States, Ireland, Scotland, Hong Kong, China, Singapore?  Go on. Guess.  What about Russia?  They have a market economy (ok, with some growing pains) and a growing middle and upper middle class.  Who do ya think?  You'll never guess correctly.  Go ahead try anyway.

And the answer is: France!  What?  Yup! that's no typo mate!











The above chart was taken from the aforementioned Economist article.  Pretty shocking!  I mean who would a' thunk it?  If I had to guess it would have been the United States as they have the population and wealthy middle and upper middle class consumers.  Guess I was wrong. 

The article also goes on to discuss the emerging middle classes in South America that is responsible for the greatest amount of growth of sales.  It's a good thing in my opinion.

I gotta go but read the article.  Don't worry it's short and there is no test.  Ain't it great when I'm the teacher?

Cheers!



Jason Debly

Copyright © Jason Debly, 2009-2010. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jason - I love interesting tit-bits of articles like this!
    I can actually believe it - France, wine, taste,etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, being in Scotland most of the export coverage tends to focus on the Far East. So you'd think that was the major market!

    ReplyDelete